Before we get started a quick disclaimer. This post is not:
- the result of a late night binge with lots of wine (at least not this time)
- a subtle hint that you have suddenly gained weight
- because of my desire to get your contribution to the “save the elephant” fund.
This post is because I saw something a few days ago that made me think of elephants and business owners. Yup, an analogy.
Remember the circus? There were always really big elephants connected with a very small rope to a tiny stake. Elephants are very smart ( I looked it up). They have the largest brain of any land animal and three times as many neurons as humans.
As smart as they are, why aren’t they making a quick dash to freedom dragging that tiny stake behind them? Because from day one, their handlers train the elephant to stay in one place. The result? Through conditioning, the elephants are convinced they can’t move.
So how does this relate to business owners? All of us have conditioned responses – those pesky voices that keep us up at night and prevent us moving forward during the day. Maybe these sound familiar:
- “I can’t grow my business and make more money.”
- “I hate marketing and can’t do it.”
- “I don’t have time to………”
- “I can’t make money doing what I love , so I will stay at the job I hate.”
- “I am not smart enough.”
Whatever we believe becomes our reality. Limiting beliefs become the rope that ties us to the stake that keep us stuck. You can get the results you want and the next blog entry gives you some ideas on how. Before you read on, start thinking of what makes up your own rope. You know the one that keeps you standing still.